Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
Teen

The second book in the Maze Runner series sees Thomas and his buddies in a safe-haven, having just escaped the maze. Thomas wakes up to screaming and Teresa in his head, saying that something is wrong. Then he can't hear Teresa anymore, her voice replaced with screams of Cranks trying to enter the building. The boys run from the windows, into a room filled with bodies of the people that saved them. Going around the bodies to Teresa's room, they instead find a single boy, who was a member of a different maze trial but with girls. Soon, a man appears telling them they are about to embark on the next phase, the scorch trials, where they have to travel 100 miles north. It is said to be even more difficult than the maze trial and the boys can only imagine what that means.

I was hoping that this book would answer some of the many questions raised in the first book but felt rather let down in this aspect. Only a few questions were answered, one of them right at the end of the book that didn't allow me the ability to mull it over. Of course, more questions were raised in this book as well. I kind of feel like it was an episode of the tv show Lost. Lost of questions and not many answers.

At the same time, I was getting a bit frustrated at the beginning of the book because of how ridiculous it was. But when I look back on The Maze Runner, it was a bit ridiculous as well and it didn't bother me that much so I'm not sure why it did now. I still enjoy the characters though and want to get the answers to my questions so I'll probably continue the series.

First Line: "She spoke to him before the world fell apart."

Rating:
(3/5)

No comments: